At 8.30pm tonight, WM Premiere is bringing you the gripping, nail-biting drama Shadow Dancer. With a star-studded cast featuring Clive Owen, Gillian Anderson and Andrea Riseborough – this captivating tale of a conflicted Irish woman forced to betray her own family will draw you in, and keep you on the edge of your seat.
To get you in the mood for an evening with Clive Owen at his finest, we’ve pulled together a few facts you might not have known about this debonair English heartthrob.
10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT CLIVE OWEN
- He played the character Dan in the original theatre production of Closer. In the film version of the same name, he played the other prominent male character, Larry, while Dan was played by Jude Law.
- In a 2005 poll, he was voted the top choice to play James Bond in Casino Royale.
- One of his most controversial roles to date was for the 1991 movie Close My Eyes, playing a man who falls in love with, and has an affair with his sister.
- He studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1984. After graduating, he joined the Young Vic Theatre.
- He is huge David Bowie fan, calling the singer “the biggest musical influence on my life.” In the 1970s, when Bowie changed his style with every album, Owen would re-dye his hair to match whatever colour Bowie’s was at the time.
- He had a mysterious recurring role as ‚ÄòThe Driver’ for a series of BMW commercials. He initially turned down the role twice, before finally accepting after being impressed by the first ad’s script.
- Owen won the role of “King Arthur” after producer Jerry Bruckheimer vetoed the director’s choice of a then comparatively unknown Daniel Craig, because he was convinced Owen was going to be the next James Bond.
- Owen met his wife at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art while they were performing the title characters in Romeo and Juliet – stating that it was love at first sight.
- When his Beyond Borders co-star Angelina Jolie told him he looked sexy, she says, he “fell over laughing”.
- He was raised by his mother and stepfather after his father abandoned their family when he was just three years old.