French beauty Juliette Binoche is an Oscar winning actress, artist, dancer and political activist and is certainly no stranger to the international spotlight.
Starring in a stream of French films in her earlier career (including working with the who’s-who of French directors, including Jean-Luc Godard and Jacques Doillon), she quickly launched into international fame with her English-language debut in 1988.
Since then, her stunning looks, raw talent and charming accent have made her a true international star, filming in some of the world’s most exotic locations. Here are some of her best international roles:
– The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988) – Her English language debut was one of her break-through roles. The Czech story was filmed in the United States and she starred alongside Daniel Day Lewis.
– The English Patient (1996) Anthony Minghella’s romantic drama took the world by storm, winning nine Academy Awards. The stunning sets were filmed in Tunisia and Italy, and shot Binoche into Hollywood fame
– Chocolat (2000) – Despite being set in France, this sweet-as-candy hit was in fact filmed in Britain. She starred as the shop-owning seductress alongside Johnny Depp.
– In My Country (2004) – Binoche starred alongside Samuel L Jackson in this romantic drama and, despite receiving poor reviews, allowed her to settle in South Africa during filming.
– Certified Copy (2010) won Binoche the best actress award at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival for this fascinating film. The film was shot in the Italian region of Tuscany and was directed by Iranian director Abbas Kiarostani.
To celebrate Juliette Binoche’s stellar career, World Movies is showcases three of their most iconic films over three consecutive night. Beginning tonight, see The Flight of the Red Balloon, Hidden and Paris.